Below are many of our frequently asked questions, simply click onthe question to see the answer.

Should you have further questions please call our office at (518) 581-8626

Q: My tenant did not pay their water bill, am I responsible to pay it?

A: YES   As the owner of the property you are responsible to pay the bill.   The WWSA will bill either the property owner or the tenant for each account.  As the property owner if you elect to have the tenant billed directly this is strictly a courtesy provided by the WWSA. If the tenant has any unpaid past due balances the property owner will be responsible to pay them.


Q: Who is responsible for water and sewer line maintenance and repair?

A1:  Authority Responsibility:  It shall be the responsibility of the Authority to maintain, repair as needed and keep in good working order all service lines from the main to, but not including, the curb stop.  The repair of leaks or other damage occurring to service lines within this area shall be performed by the Authority at its own expense.

A2: Homeowner Responsibility:  It shall be the responsibility of the customer to maintain in proper working order the service from and including the curb box to the entry point beyond the meter.  No pipe beyond the meter shall be permitted to be buried.  The curb box shall remain accessible at all times and free of debris.  Damage to the curb box or lid shall be brought to the immediate attention of the Authority.  The expense of repair work performed on any curb box shall be paid by the customer.

Q: Why is my water cloudy or milky?

Once in a while, you get a glass of water and it looks cloudy; maybe milky is a better term. After a few seconds it miraculously clears up! The cloudiness might be caused by the water in the pipes being under a bit more pressure than the water in the glass, but is more likely due to tiny air bubbles in the water. Like any bubble, the air rises to the top of the water and goes into the air above, clearing up the water. Cloudy water, also known as white water, is caused by air bubbles in the water. It is completely harmless.

It usually happens when it is very cold outside because the solubility of air in water increases as water pressure increases and/or water temperature decreases. Cold water holds more air than warm water. In the winter, water travels from the Tanks which is very cold and warms up during its travel to your tap. Some of the air that is present is no longer soluble, and comes out of solution.

Also, water pressure has something to do with it. The water in the pipes is pressurized to a degree (which helps to get the water all the way from the water tower to your home). Water under pressure holds more air than water that is not pressurized. Once the water comes out of your tap, the water is no longer under pressure and the air comes out of solution as bubbles (similar to a carbonated soft drink). The best thing to do is let it sit in an open container until the bubbles naturally disappear.

Q: I’m buying a house on the WWSA system, what do I do?
Typically the property sellers attorney contacts the WWSA at least 3 days prior to the day of the closing at this time the WWSA is provide the new owner’s name and billing information. A final water reading is then completed. We calculate the amount due and notify the sellers attorney of the final amount due that will be paid directly to the WWSA at the closing. After the WWSA receives the final payment the account information is changed to the new owner. To schedule a final reading call our office at (518) 581-8626.
Q: My water is discolored. Is it safe to drink, and what do I do to get rid of it?

Discolored water results when water traveling through the water mains reaches high enough velocities to stir the sediment lying in the bottom of the water mains. Water main breaks, fire fighting activities, and extremely high system demand are typical causes of discolored water. There are no health risks associated with this type of problem, as the particulate matter causing the discoloration is are not harmful. If you experience this problem, the easiest way to eliminate the discolored water from your system is to run as many cold water faucets, including bath tubs, sinks, and outside spigots, as possible at the same time. This will create a high enough flow rate from the water main to your home to clear out any sediment which may have found its way into your service line. If the problem does not clear up within a few minutes, it is possible that the sediment in the water main has not settled out yet. In this case, wait an hour or so and try it again.

Q: My water bill seems high?
The WWSA bills on a Quarterly basis for the actual water used. The first thing you should do is to check the meter reading on your bill with the reading on your meter in your basement. If the meter reading on the meter in your basement is higher than the meter reading on your bill you have been billed correctly. If the meter readings are correct and you feel that you have not used more water than normal you may have a water leak; for example, a leaking toilet, faucet(s), humidifier, problem with a water using appliance etc. The most common reason for a higher than expected bill is irrigation of lawns.
Q: How do I get water and sewer service?
If you are new to the area or moving to a location within our water and sewer coverage area, you must contact the WWSA at 518-581-8626. You will then be asked to provide information to setup your account.
Q: Is there fluoride in my water?
No fluoride is added therefore fluoride supplements should be used as directed by your Doctor or Dentist.
Q: Have the water rates gone up?

No the WWSA has never raised its water rates since its inception in 1992.

Q: Do you accept credit card or online payment?

Yes. You may make a one-time payment or set up recurring payments from your credit card or bank account.

Pay Now

Q: What if I'm not new to the area and simply moving from one home to another?
Account transfers can be completed over the telephone. You must contact the WWSA at 518-581-8626. However, all outstanding charges must be paid before a transfer is completed.
Q: Our house is being re-sided can I remove the remote to replace the siding?
Most homes now have a radio reader on the outside of the home. This unit is not to be removed by anyone except the WWSA. You must contact the WWSA at 518-581-8626 and the unit will be removed. When replacing the siding on the home, make sure to bring the wire back through the new siding for reattachment. After the new siding is installed with the wire ready for reattachment contact the WWSA at 518-581-8626 and we will replace the unit.
Q: A Boil Water Advisory has been issued for my area. What does it mean, what should I do?

A Boil Water Advisory (BWA) is a preventative measure issued to protect the health of the community from water borne infectious agents. A Boil Water Advisory is issued only after careful consideration among representatives from public health, regulatory agencies and municipal departments. A Boil Water Advisory does not necessarily mean that a contaminant has been found to have entered the drinking water supply, in fact, most BWA's are initiated as precautionary measures only.

Create a supply of water for cooking, drinking and tooth brushing.

1. Bring the water to a rolling boil for 1 minute. Timing starts when the water starts to bubble.

2. Cool the water then place in clean containers for use or refrigerate.

Hot soapy water can be used for dishwashing and kitchen / bathroom surface cleaning. As a precaution, add one tablespoon of bleach per gallon.

Laundry water does not need to be treated. Unless otherwise noted, water for showering does not need to be treated.

If the water is not safe for drinking because of germs (bacteria, viruses or parasites), good hand washing with soap and water should be followed up with hand disinfection with alcohol-based disinfectant.

Q: What are Water and Sewer fees for new construction?
There are many variables relating to new water & sewer service such as availability, usage, service area etc. For these applications please call 518- 581-8626.
Q: We are presently on well and septic and wish to convert to Town water & sewer. How much does this cost?
There are many variables relating to new water & sewer service such as availability, usage, service area etc. For these applications please call 518-581-8626.
Q: Does WWSA estimate water bills?
We estimate only if we have a problem with our meter reading equipment. If your bill is estimated it will have a note on the bill. Your water estimate will be based on your water use history and the metering equipment will be repaired. If your bill is estimated you may call 518-581-8626 with your water meter reading from the meter in your basement and we will use that reading for your bill.
Q: How are sewer charges calculated?
Sewer charges are a flat fee based on units served. One home is one unit.
Q: Why do I continue to receive a water & sewer bill when I’m gone six (6) months a year?
The WWSA has a minimum charge for service whether services are used or not.
Q: Should I shut off my water if I'm on vacation?
The choice is yours, but we recommend turning your water off to avoid possible water loss and potential basement flooding if a failure occurs. All services have a valve in front of the water meter where the water line enters the house. This valve should be turned off to prevent any water from entering your internal plumbing.
Q: I just received a notice that my service will be disconnected if I don't pay my bill.
Contact the WWSA at 518-581-8626 as soon as you receive the notice to arrange for payment.
Q: What are the current water and sewer rates?
Water and sewer rates are listed on the home page of this site.